Country Club of Maryland Logo

Member Login

About Us

Our Mission:

   The Country Club of Maryland provides a premier golf experience complemented by exceptional dining in a warm and inclusive community.

  • By honoring the traditions of our Membership, which includes constant focus on our Herbert Strong designed golf course.
  • By fostering genuine and honest relationships among members, employees, and community.
  • By preparing and delivering top quality dining through talented culinarians and personable service.
  • By providing a superior value among private clubs in the Baltimore area.

Our Core Values:

  • Integrity & Ethics: acting in the best interest of our members, employees, and community, we will be honest, fair and ethical in our actions and decisions.
  • Stewardship: we will manage our financial, human, and natural resources in a responsible and sustainable manner.
  • Communication and Transparency: we will openly and honestly communicate and collaborate with our members and employees.
  • Respect and Inclusiveness: we are a friendly, welcoming club that respects and values all members, their guests, and our employees.
  • Excellence and Innovation: we strive to continually improve the experience and facilities to ensure we are offering superior golf and dining.

Our History

An article written by W.A. Biggs appeared in the Baltimore Sun on June 22, 1924 with the following headline:

Andy Gibson (CC of Md Golf Professional from 1942-84)New Course at Rodgers Forge Opens Today  

Rodgers Forge Course to be the Longest in the Section

Another golf course will make its bow to the Baltimore devotees of the game at 10 o'clock this morning when the Rodgers Forge Club holds its informal opening for its members and their guests.  The club was organized about a year ago and did not start work on the course until November.  Instead of attempting the almost impossible task of completing an 18-hole layout within a year, the club officials wisely decided to go slowly and surely, building for a permanent future rather than an immediate present.

However to give its members something this year, nine holes have been put in condition for play and will be launched on their career of bringing joy and blasting hopes today.  Temporary greens really excellent in texture, have been provided and the fairways, though less than eight months from a plowed field or rocky pasturage, give a wonderful promise of what they will be within another year.  The temporary greens are just short of the regular ones which are being prepared for seeding this fall and will serve as approaches when the regulars are put into play next year.

The card for the new course measured 6,304 yard and was a par 71, there were 2 par 5's on the original front nine (#4 at 470 and #7 at 460 yards respectively).  The front measured 3,128 yards, while the back nine was 3,176 yards.

The Rodgers Forge course is located on what was the Stevenson Farm, half mile east of York Road and about a mile south of Towson.  This farm, which contains 167 acres, remained in the Stevenson family from the time of a grant from King George III to Dr. John Stevenson and his brother Henry, who came to America from Ireland in 1734, until it was purchased by the club last year.  The brothers built one of the first stone houses in this part of the state and this house will be incorporated in the clubhouse to be built by the Rodgers Forge members.

The 2nd Green (3rd tee box to right)  1959

The 2nd Green (3rd tee box to right)  1959

The Stevensons christened their farm "Fellowship" and this will be adopted as the motto of the club.  The Stevenson home served as a hospital base in the War of 1812 and in recognition of the family's services the government presented a banner, bearing Dr. Stevenson's portrait and a painting of the old house to the brothers.  This banner is owned by the City of Baltimore and the club members hope the city will present it to them so they can hang it in its projected building.

In the Stevenson home were held some of the first Masonic meetings conducted in Maryland.  Dr. Stevenson having been a prominent figure in the early days of the order in the state.  Dr. Stevenson was one of the delegates to the Colonial Convention and as such signed the order promulgating the Declaration of Independence.  He also was one of the founders of the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland.